[C320-list] Fuel gauge

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 09:11:41 PDT 2009

*Testing Fuel Gauges*

1. Disconnect Pink Sender Wire from Gauge, and turn power ON.
The Fuel Gauge should read ZERO Scale (< Empty)

2. Short the Gauge Sender Terminal to Ground.
The Gauge should read FULL Scale (> Full).

3. Measure resistance of Pink Sender Wire to Ground.
American Floats: 240 Ohms (Empty), 103 Ohms (½ Full), & 33 Ohms (Full)
European Floats: 10 Ohms (Empty), 95 Ohms (Half), & 180 Ohms (Full)
Automotive & other Float Switches may use other resistances such as 0 - 90
Ohm, 73 - 10 Ohm, & etc.

4. Disconnect Pink Wire from Sender on Fuel Tank.

5. Test continuity of Pink Wire.
Zero Ohms from Tank End to Gauge End - If not, repair or replace Wire.

6. Measure Resistance from Sender Terminal (on Tank) to Ground on Tank.
Should read as per (3) above - If not, replace Sender.

--
Chris Burti Farmville, NC