[C320-list] Asymmetrical rigging

Denny Browne dennybrowne at verizon.net
Fri Jul 24 08:29:22 PDT 2009

I attach my spinnaker blocks to the stanchion bases just ahead of the deck
cleats. There's an inexpensive fitting at West Marine that allows you to
attach a block with a snap or regular shackle. I forget what it's called,
but it wraps around the stanchion and has a hole at each end. When the holes
come together on the front of the stanchion, they're tightened with a couple
of small screws and you slip the shackle or snap shackle through them. My
boat came with the furling line terminal block attached to one of these. I
was worried about whether it was strong enough, but a rigger told me I'd be
surprised at how strong it is. I've had no problem. The stanchion base is
plenty strong AT THE BASE because it's through bolted and the load is in
sheer. This leaves the deck cleats clear for dock lines without scurrying
around to get the spinnaker gear out of the way.

A better way is to put a folding padeye in the position either right ahead
of or right behind that stanchion. If you put it behind, and use a single
block with a becket, you can attach a piece of bungie cord to the becket and
suspend it from the horizontal bar on the stern pulpit to keep it from
chipping the deck. The bungie should be long enough to stop the block just
short of the deck, so it doesn't influence the lead on the loaded sheet.

A cheek block for this application may cause the spinnaker sheet to chafe on
the top cheek when the line articulates with the sail. The ideal block is
one with a swivel and a trunion so it can move any direction the sheet pulls
it without chafing or torquing the shackle. I've used snatch blocks for this
application in the past, but a far less expensive single block with snap
shackle and becket (http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=17
$50.51 at Garhauer) is more than adequate. The snatch block comes in handy
for the afterguy turing block if you use separate sheets and guys on a
symmetrical spinnaker. No such need for an A-sail.

DENNY BROWNE
A Cappella #935
Redondo Beach