[C320-list] Shower drain pump problem-Y valve detective work

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Sun Jul 26 08:06:32 PDT 2009

Rick-As part of my learning about my 2002 320, I spent a lot of time pouring
over the owner's manual and checking all the locations of the thru hull
fittings.  The Y valve for the shower and refrigerator was not shown on
Catalina's plumbing plan.  Also the refrigerator drain to the pump was not
shown.  With a little onboard time looking under the head sink, I figured
out the Y valve configuration and put labels where each of the hoses connect
to the Y valve to make thing easier for me in the future.  One from the
refrigerator sump, one from the shower sump and one to the pump inlet.  I
also marked the Y valve lever with tape and arrows to make the selection
process fairly obvious.  Now if I want to empty the sump in the refrigerator
I line up the Y valve handle arrows so the refrigerator hose at the Y valve
is lined up with the hose for the pump inlet.  I default the setting to the
shower sump since that is used more than emptying the refrigerator sump for
our kind of sailing.

One earlier 320s the refrigerator drains into the bilge and there is no Y
valve installed.  I don't where in the hull no. chain this was changed.

Bob Sloat
Savannah 894