[C320-list] Starting issue

warren updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 8 13:08:43 PDT 2009

Starting current does not pass through the pedestal.  The starter switch
powers a relay on the engine that switches in the starting current.  Since
you had power in the pedestal then lost it, it could be a ground fault. It's
a good opportunity to check all connections and connectors as recommended
below.  Start with the wiring harness in the pedestal and all the
connections there.  There should be one incoming 12V pos. and negative
larger than the other (instrument) wires.  Pay close attention to these.
Move to the terminal strip on the engine and follow each wire to its end.
I'll bet you'll find something.  Also, check the starting relay.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay