[C320-list] Battery Ventilation

Pat Moriarty patm at psiurethanes.com
Wed Jun 10 06:48:13 PDT 2009

Ok enough is enough on battery fumes. The fumes are lighter than air
so they rise and escape so unlike gas or gas/propane vapors which are
heavy and collect in the bilge where there is a starter for a spark,
it is not a potential problem Even if you are frying your battery it
probably will not produce vapor fast enough to cause a problem. I
have seen batteries explode in a car but the cause was low water and
a plate short inside the battery which caused it to blow the top off
the battery. Now just think how ventilated a car engine is, also look
at the caps and the tiny hole for the vapor to come out of vs the
volume of the compartment and the interior. You might blow up a
battery in your boat but if you blow up your boat with hydrogen gas
you are likely to be the first person to do so. If you have converted
your boat to all electric with a big bank and a generator I will
retract all the above and advise a ventilation system.

PAT #130

Pat Moriarty
PSI Urethanes Inc
PH: 800-888-5156  Fax: 512-837-8733