[C320-list] Masthead Sheaves on Older Models

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Fri Jun 12 07:47:41 PDT 2009

David:  The Catalina 320 Standard Mast Handbook that you mention does
not appear to be on the Charleston Spar (now Sparcraft) web site.  But
it is still available on the C320 Association web site.  You can find it
here:

http://www.catalina320.com/filemgmt_data/files/Catalina320_Standard_Mast.pdf

I suspect that the two middle sheaves (not even visible unless you take
the masthead cover off, apparently) were intended for spinnakers with
the halyards exiting above the two rollers that you mention, and run to
blocks on a spinnaker crane from there.  But I'm speculating about this
and don't really know if that would work.  The OC 1 description on the
Sparcraft website does say that this masthead supports a main halyard, a
main "lift," 2 genoa halyards AND 2 spinnaker halyards.

--
Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653