[C320-list] ST60 wind angle failure

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Sun Jun 14 19:51:49 PDT 2009

Don-I had a problem somewhat similar to yours with my ST60 wind isnstrument
last year on hull 894 and it turned out to be a defective control head (the
wind guage in the NavPod) for the wind instrument.

You can test from the wind control head whether or not the transducer (wind
vane to non engineers) at the masthead is working or if there is a bad
electrical connection.  You
need a volt amp meter to do the testing.  I don't have the Raymarine answer
number for this procedure, in my notes but if you go to the Raymarine site
and drill down through customer support and search for Testing Masthead
Transducers you will eventual find the following answer: "Testing ST50/60
Masthead Transducers" which is the procedure to use.

The procedure is to test various voltages between various colored wires on
the back of the control head.  In the procedure, shield means the black
wire.  I did it over a
few days at various wind angles and determined the transducer was working
properly saving a trip up the mast.

Before doing that you should make sure the wind vane on the transducer is
actually moving with the wind.  If not then there is something keeping the
vane from rotating with the wind direction and a trip up the mast is in
order to see what the problem is.

If it moves with the wind in all wind directions use the Raymarine procedure
to test whether the transducer is actually sending the proper signals to the
instrument for the various wind directions the vane is at.

If all the output from the transducer is OK per the above procedure, it is
likely the control head is not working.  Raymarine has a set fee for repair
of its instruments.  And it takes a few week for the turn around to get a
repaired instrument.

If the output from the transducer is not what it should be for the various
wind angles, then it is either a bad transducer or wiring connecting it to
the control head.

Good luck

Bob Sloat
Savannah Hull 894