[C320-list] Maxwell 500 Parts Diagram

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Mon Jun 15 14:34:56 PDT 2009

My manual says to drain and replace the oil every three years, and to
use SAE 90 gear oil.  (I think this is the same stuff used in the lower
units of outboard motors.)

The sight glass is useless on our boats because of the horizontal
mounting method that Catalina uses.  (It's only a valid sight when the
windlass is mounted vertically so that the motor is horizontal.  Our
boats have the windlass horizontal and the motor vertical.)  Assuming
you don't want to remove the motor, it isn't obvious what to do, and the
manual is no help.  I had a chat with someone at Maxwell once about this
and they didn't offer any terrific suggestions.  My recollection is that
they suggested making sure that the oil level was at least up to the
level of the contact point between the worm gear and main drive gear,
but not much higher.  I'm not sure if you can see inside well enough to
check this.  You might try removing the sight glass and peering inside
with a strong light.  I replaced the oil when I had the motor out of the
boat once several years ago.  It seemed to be clear and in excellent
shape even after 5-6 years of minimal use.  When I change the oil again,
I will use suction to extract as much as I can and then refill about
half way, measuring and using the amount extracted to help me estimate
how much to add.  In retrospect I should have tried this when I had the
motor removed.

I've sent a scan of the owner's manual to Karl, who will be posting it
soon, I'm sure.  It's too big to email around generally.  The manual has
complete maintenance suggestions, which I would take with a grain of
salt, given how little use the windlass gets on most boats.

Scott

--
Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653