[C320-list] Battery Ventilation

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Mon Jun 15 20:38:52 PDT 2009

I agree it's good advice to not drill the holes.

But for the record, USCG standards DO say that batteries must be vented.
  See Title 33, Code of Federal Regulations, section 183.420(e), which
reads, "(e) A vent system or other means must be provided to permit the
discharge from the boat of hydrogen gas released by the battery."  See
for yourself at this link:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=33&PART=183&SECTION=420&YEAR=1999&TYPE=PDF

This is also in the USCG "Boat Builders Handbook."

http://www.uscgboating.org/SAFETY/boatbuilder/downloads/PART1.pdf

That document is instructive about how compliance with the rules works
in practice.  As nearly as I can tell there is no government
certification process for yacht designs in the U.S.

Furthermore, while I do not have access to the relevant ABYC document,
some web sites indicate that the ABYC standards go even further by
specifying that batteries must be vented even if they are sealed.  (I
believe ABYC standards include all of the USCG standards by reference
and thus are at least as stringent.)

I would never assume my boat has a safe design simply because there
exist standards.  But I'm not too worried about hydrogen gas build up
either.  Heavier than air propane worries me a lot more.

--
Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653