[C320-list] Repair of Gel Coat

warren updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 19 14:02:29 PDT 2009

I watched Catalina's East Coast gelcoat warranty guy do a repair on non-skid. (Catalina no longer uses him.)  He first filled the hole to the height of the surrounding surface with either epoxy or polyester, I don't know which.  When cured, he used a grout saw (Home Depot,) held at an angle to cut the groves: first angled to the right, then to the left.  When done, the diamond pattern was there and indistinguishable from the original alongside.  Then, he made a mixture of gelcoat and color matched it to the original in the pot.  This is where the art comes in as the color changes when cured.  I guess he knew how much change to allow.  The gelcoat he sprayed on with a mouth-pipe sprayer.  He must have used a surfacing wax as he didn't cover the wet gelcoat and it still cured.  I was surprised how thin was the gelcoat he applied.

The damaged spot was about the size of a dime.  For larger areas you can get a diamond pattern mold from some guy (in Texas, I think.)  I did find it on the internet; but, no longer have the URL.

I would be interested in an explanation of your project when you are done. I have some dings in the non-skid I'd like to repair.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay