[C320-list] Holding tank filter

Kirk McCullough kirk.mccullough at telus.net
Sat Jun 27 13:33:57 PDT 2009

Does anyone get the British mag, Yachting Monthly. They have a great article this month, testing where the smell comes from and how to get rid of it. Apparently much of it comes from the pump. Particles remain in the pump in small areas that do not flush clean, and they react with the air to create the  H2S. The solution is to leave water in the pump, either fresh or seawater gives the same result. Contrary to popular belief they proved that sea water doesn't decompose and cause the H2S smell, so no need to leave fresh water in the system, but just don't leave it dry. After dry pumping always pull some water back into the pump before leaving the boat for any length of time.

I'm going to try this.

Kirk