[C320-list] Asymmetrical spinnakker

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Tue Jun 30 13:06:09 PDT 2009

Ed-I have a UK flasher asymmetric with the sock and use 2 sheets always
attached to the clew.  I also have the ATN saddle which keeps the tack of
the spinnaker near the furled genoa and the bail on the anchor roller.
After jibing we make sure the lazy sheet has a few wraps around the primary
winch to keep it in the boat.  I also have sheet bags on the rails at the
stern into which all spinnaker sheets are stuffed after take down and before
starting the engine.  This helps managing the 60+ feet length of each of the
spinnaker sheets.

>From day one we have always jibed as described in the UK instructional CD.
Here is a summary.  Start with being around 150 or greater apparent.  Then
trim in the mainsail so it is over the boat.  I generally have the main near
the center of the boat.  Then ease the working sheet for the spinnaker until
the sail is streaming in front of the boat and forestay.  Then turn the
wheel for the jibe, trim the new spinnaker working sheet and let the main
out.  Pulling the main in reduces blanketing of the spinnaker by the main
and lets the spinnaker flow out in front of the forestay.

These steps are also on the UK website.  And after you do the above drill a
number of times you can cheat a little on starting wind angle and extent the
main is pulled in. After a while the whole operation is just one smooth
process.  With the autopilot on, jibing can be done single handed once you
get the hang of it.  To jibe with the autopilot you need to punch the
appropriate +10 button on the Raymarine autopilot 6 or more times depending
on the apparent wind you start from and end up with.

Good luck showing the chute off.

Bob Sloat
S/V Savannah
Hull 894