[C320-list] Steering lubrication and rudder post

MICHAEL COLE mcol3781 at bigpond.net.au
Mon Mar 23 19:53:39 PDT 2009

When my boat was slipped in Oct last it was found that substantial play existed in the rudder shaft and the lower bearing.   The yard (whom I trust) showed me the problem and said it had to be replaced.  There is no provision for adjustment or lubrication and a new bearing had to be made in novoston .   The cost here in Sydney   14hrs labour  $A 1260 and material (ie the bearing )  $A257 totalling $A1517 or approx $US  1046.at todays exchange rate. I consoled myself by saying the original bearing lasted 12 yrs since new and given my 74yrs this one should see me out!!!