[C320-list] Winch De-Greaser

Allan S. Field allan.field at verizon.net
Sun Mar 8 11:51:27 PDT 2009

I service the winches annually.  I really like the sound they make when
clean and with new grease on the bearings!  Plus they are so much easier to
use.  The springs are tiny and easy to drop and lose.  Although so far I
have not lost a spring, I still keep spares around.  The pawls are large
enough that I am going to find them if I drop them.  I have a large piece of
plywood (2x4) that I use just for cleaning the winches.  I put the plywood
over the stove and, using a small box like a case of beer comes in, take the
winches apart, put them in the box, bring them below and soak everything for
10-15 minutes in the mineral oil bath, clean the parts with an old
toothbrush, grease up the parts again (I use 3 in 1 oil on the pawls and
springs), put everything back in the box, take the box topsides, and put the
winch back together.

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Columbia, MD