[C320-list] Wing vs deep keel

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Tue Mar 10 12:25:47 PDT 2009

BIll,

I am not an expert on all this, but here is my take on it having
experienced both the wing keel vs. deep keel on the C320:

* You can go in shallower water with a wing keel vs. deep keel, BUT...
* If you run aground with a wing keel it is far more difficult than a
fin to get off the grounding.
* Easier to ship a wing keel vessel.
* Performance - hands down fin keel will beat a wing keel all the
time.  You can also point a few degrees closer to windward with a fin
keel.  Even if not racing, it is nice to point closer to your
destination and have a little more pep in the step.
* The C320 is a great selling model from a great selling brand.  Hard
to say in general in resale - it may depend on location.  I would say
this - no one interested in winning at racing would consider a wing
keel vessel.  I have had several people express interest in buying my
boat who want to race it - and the boat is not for sale!  Either way
though, it is not fully clear to me the resale value is impacted on
the keel issue. I would also be curious to see how long some one owns
a C320 - it has to be longer than the average boat owner.  These are
great boats!

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Andrew