[C320-list] Wing vs deep keel

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Wed Mar 11 16:31:37 PDT 2009

Larry,

Actually there is little or no change wing vs. fin on the PHRF rating.

My boat started at a PHRF of 156 with the wing keel.  When I went to
the Fin keel I was initially dropped to 150, but in a couple of months
I was bumped back to 156.  My understanding is the most areas have
handicapped fin and wing keel boats the same or maybe a couple of
seconds per mile for the wing.  Be able to point 5 deg better with a
fin keel makes up for this negligible time difference if any is
added.  So when I went to the fin keel I help my cause with penalizing
my vessel.

Also it is interesting to note you penalize yourself if you use a
fixed blade prop vs. folding/feathering prop.  PHRF did not change my
handicap when I went to an Autoprop, however I was clearly sailing a
faster with it.

Best Regards,
Andrew
C320 "Dawn Treader"