[C320-list] Tacking Efficiently in Racing

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Fri Mar 20 09:41:47 PDT 2009

Yes, we do a count down too.

Though sometimes I will count down 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1.... under
certain circumstances. LOL.

Also, I do call out "Ready to come about" before the tack to the crew
and wait for "ready on port" and "ready on starboard" from each crew
member.  I will also let them know the urgency of the tack using the
count down and let them know it will happen quickly.

Then I will  do the count down and call "Hard a lee".  On a Gybe I say
"Gybe Ho" - prior to this I ask for the boom to be centered.

Sometimes however things are moving so fast (with 40 big boats on the
line), we do talk through the start and note there may be an emergency
tack and circle Gybe in some cases.  I do ask the crew to be on top
form on the start and to pay close attention. We do count down the
time prior to the start.  I also ask them to pay attention to the race
and save the site seeing for later.

I do notice some of you have snagging problems with your 155.  You may
want to put tape and/or those tubes (I forget what they are called) on
the shrouds to prevent this snagging.

In light air I have either the bowman move the sail over OR if short
handed I have the person who released the sailed to then go forward to
help move the sail over if need be.  The free individual or bowman
also "skirts the sail" if need be.  Yes, the bowman also works the
Spinnaker set up when in use.

Lastly, make sure your crew pays attention to any jams of the sheet to
release it ASAP.

I do agree with practicing and getting into a rhythm with your crew.
New crews, even if experts, need to get in sync.

Best Regards,
Andrew
C320 "Dawn Treader"