[C320-list] Steering wire break

Tue Mar 24 20:07:36 PDT 2009

Why don't you call the factory or Edson, I'm sure they have the info you need for the repair...
----------------------------------
Regards,
OD

From: argates2nd
Sent: 03/25/2009 03:04 AM GMT
To: C320-List at Catalina320.com
Subject: Re: [C320-list] Steering wire break

A new experience today:  steering wire broke while racing & beating to a mark.  Fortunately the closest boat was about 200 yds behind us in 20+ mph gusting wind.  He got around us and then we were able to get the sails down, get the emergency tiller on, and get off the race couse.  Then we jury rigged using two vice grips and tape to steer into our marina with the wheel.

Does anyone know which of these kits from Edson's website we need?  The owner's manual only references Fig. 775 kits.

773 Wire Rope Hardware Kit:

187   $53.00

250   $58.00

We just have 2 Monday's left in our Spring series so I need to get the replacement kit quickly and the closest rigger is 40 miles away and he is pretty busy.  I have everything apart except one of the 4 bolts below the compass where I need to get a bigger phillips head with a square shaft for leverage.

Rollie   #182   Charlotte Harbor, FL     (my crew's tacking teamwork is still a work in progress and slow in big air)