[C320-list] A/C Return Air Grill Size //// Another location

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 27 20:35:54 PDT 2009

Steve,

You may want to reconsider where you place the unit. Placing it above the
fuel tank will place the compressor and fan nearer to your ears and this
will definitely disturb your sleep.

I chose to place the unit in the larger cockpit locker and then cut a return
air duct at the foot of the aft cabin. It was an easy run to place the exit
grill just above the bread box with the water exit just above the water line
and a condensate tube with a gravity run to the transom. All of the
electrical wires easily run to the circuits at the nav station including the
controls. I also built a shelf above the unit so I may place heavy items
above the unit without damaging the unit. Also insulted the unit and created
a very tight air box between the intake grill and the unit so that I do not
suck up any air and humidity from the locker which increased the efficiency
of the unit and reduced cycling. I also placed an air grill at the lower
portion of the door to the aft cabin.

Just something to consider, always raise the fan limits on a 16K unit
because running the fan motor too slow for a length of time will tax the
motor because it is running too slow and builds up heat in the windings.

Never regretted a 16K unit especially if one enters and exits the
companionway often up here in Lake Erie during July and August!

Rick
My-Ria 277