[C320-list] SPIN HALYARD

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Sat Mar 28 07:40:50 PDT 2009

Pete-Check the 320 site for crane installation pictures.  Go to Gallery and
drill down to Technical Photos and then search using crane.  From a quick
search of old 320 emails and the pictures, it looks like you also have to
change the exit location of the spinnaker halyard to some where 6-8 feet own
from the top of the mast so the halyard exists the mast below and then goes
to the block attached to the crane.  For the mast in the pictures the crane
slopes downward and forward and looks like it would interfere with the
halyard exiting the mast at the top.  I assume this is the reason folks have
the halyard exit the mast below.  If the crane exited horizontally from the
top of the mast maybe there would be enough room for the halyard to exit the
top of the mast and cleanly go to a block attached to the crane.  I have
hull 894 and the mast top is identical to these pictures.

FYI I have been sailing my 320 with an asymmetric spinnaker and sock for
over 6 years without a crane and have had no problems using the stock
halyard exit at the top of the mast.