[C320-list] Noise from shaft packing??

Larry & Melissa theleibmans at verizon.net
Sun May 17 04:20:41 PDT 2009

As I think about this more and read through some of the archives, the noise sounds more like what might be described as propeller "singing" (a ringing wine glass sound). Although I did not intentionally change the propeller geometry over the winter, I did lightly sand the prop surface to remove the old fouling and remaining paint in preparation for new paint. Perhaps I inadvertently changed the trailing edge shape enough to cause the noise.

If this is the cause, the good news is (a) the noise is nothing more than an annoyance and is not indicative of a pending failure and (b) I don't have to tell my better half that but can instead insist that it is a major issue that can only be remedied with a feathering prop.

Larry
S/V Easy Going