[C320-list] Hot water heater leak

Paul Rickman ilove2sail at verizon.net
Sun May 17 15:21:03 PDT 2009

I have had a nagging leak from the hose connecting to the input side (cold water) of the hot water heater.
The problem is that it never leaks until the water has heated up. I have replaced the short
3 inch hose four times over five seasons. This connection gets very hot and I guess it wears out.
Once I even lost all my fresh water while motoring
to an anchorage. Fortunately, I had enough bottled water to get me through the night and back to
the marina. It is never a good sign when the bilge pump turns on. I'm a little guy shy now, leaving
the water pressure off while under way. This spring, thinking it was the whale fitting, I put too much
pressure on it and it snapped. So I've replaced everthing from the hot water heater to the blue tubing,
included a whale back pressure fitting. The Annapolis West Marine on Forrest Drive carries some
of the Whale fittings -- but you have to ask for them as they are in a box on a high shelf. The box
is labeled "quick connect fittings".

 Paul
Affinity 657
Bay Bridge Marina