[C320-list] Engine Stalling In Reverse

Kirk McCullough kirk.mccullough at telus.net
Tue May 19 19:03:03 PDT 2009

Shawn

I have a 1994 with the Perkins. I have never had it stall as I go into
reverse, but the Perkins shakes and shudders on its mounts if the RPM are
too low. I suppose it might stall if I didn't quickly raise the RPM once in
reverse. I shift at 900-1000rpm then pick it up to 1200 or more to avoid the
shaking.

What kind of prop do you have, how many hours on the Perkins and Hurth? The
prop might be over-pitched in reverse.

You may need to have the Hurth rebuilt including the clutch pack, as you
found out I don't believe the damper plate does a whole lot to the stop
shuddering or stalling.

I actually changed mine to a Hurth 100, from the 50 they come with. It's
good for something like 55 hp, while the 50 is rated to 29, so it's at its
limit.

I would play with the RPM's to see if that helps and maybe get the Hurth
upgraded to a 100. Hurth is now actually owned by ZF and the new model is
the ZF-5 (Hurth 50), ZF-6 (an upgraded Hurth 50) or ZF-10 (Hurth 100)

Kirk