[C320-list] Engine Stalling In Reverse

Kirk McCullough kirk.mccullough at telus.net
Tue May 19 21:12:47 PDT 2009

Shawn

Yep, that's definitely the complete fix. Looks like you got a good price on
the ZF-10 too. One other thing, when I installed the Kiwi the recently
rebuilt H-50 didn't last too long before it started slipping again. That's
when I did the ZF-6 and it didn't last 30 minutes. I believe the Kiwi is
really hard on the smaller gear box, so the ZF-10 is the ticket. This
doesn't seem to be an issue with the Yanmar engine gearbox combo.

I didn't need to change anything to install the ZF-10, and as I said I
didn't even change the shaft length. If I didn't have a stainless shaft
already at that point I would have shortened the shaft or ordered a new
stainless shaft one inch shorter. I believe the actual length difference was
7/8th of an inch. The strength of the stainless shaft means no issues even
though it is longer aft of the cutlass bearing. My mechanic suggested this
would not be a problem and it hasn't been.

I do like the feeling that the gearbox is solid and up to the task of full
power forward or reverse. The thing about the ZF-10 is that the clutch pack
is much stronger.

I just can't say enough about the ZF agent in Seattle, they knew what the
solution was and did it all for the price of a new ZF-6. No questions
asked.WOW!

Good luck Shawn!

Kirk