[C320-list] Solar panels

Robert Seastream robert.seastream at comcast.net
Fri May 22 18:15:31 PDT 2009

Four years ago, for $150 I bought the 18 watt ICP rigid solar panel
from WM.  It lasted three years, then developed a crack, but still had
output.  ICP said they wouldn't cover the crack, but if the output
ever died, they'd honor the 10 year warranty.  They replaced it twice
for me, for the same reasons, first it would  crack, then no output.
They didn't want the panel or receipt, just took my word for it.  They
must've had records from WM.  After the third panel died, I didn't
bother again.  I think it cracked due to heat stress, they think it
cracked due to lying it on the foredeck rather than mounting it to a
flat surface.  I've thought of a system such as Lamar describes below
(his panel is physically MUCH more robust), but went the upgraded
alternator route, supplemented with a Honda generator.  The generator
is used around the household in the off season.  If you just want one
for trickle charging, pay the extra bucks (for a given output) and go
with the flexible panels.  Anything that'll put out about an amp
(12-15 watts) is fine, but will cost you around $300.  Run the wire
from the forward battery into the V berth, and out the hatch (you can
close it on the wire) and you'll be fine.  In other news, today was
splash day, woohoo!

Bob Seastream
Intuition # 906