[C320-list] autopilot advice

jimc320 at aol.com jimc320 at aol.com
Thu May 28 16:15:19 PDT 2009

John,

I just replaced my original Autopilot ( Autohelm ST4000 which is the predecessor to the X-5 , since Ray marine bought out autohelm years ago)?last weekend with the X-5. Installation is fairly simple, with the hardest part getting the wires to where you need them.?If you know someone who has a little experience with this type of stuff, you could probably do it yourself.

The one thing to check before you start is how the wheel drive attaches to the wheel and the clearance that you have with the engine pod. If I remember correctly some owners had to lower their engine instrument pod. I had a small issue that the lever that is used to engage the the drive belt bumped into the engine instrument pod. I got away with grinding a little off the autopilot lever and not having to lower the engine instrument pod.

Jim Mills
Elusive 2, 209