[C320-list] Wind of solar power

Robert Seastream robert.seastream at comcast.net
Sun May 31 14:26:54 PDT 2009

I'm on a mooring and would go with solar over wind if I were still
considering.  Solar is quieter, with little or no maintenance.
Doesn't have to be totally sunny to work well, either.

The only caveat is if you have (or plan to) any AC devices that
require lots of current (air conditioning, electric heater, water
heater) to start/operate.  Then you'd need inverters (to change DC
into AC); these would place a huge demand on your batteries.  A very
basic comparison is that there's a 10:1 difference in current draw
between a device running on 12 volts and one running on 120 volts.  A
1200 watt device which requires 10 amps at 120 volts will require 100
amps (via the inverters) at 12 volts from your batteries.  At that
point, solar vs wind is moot; a generator might be better.  The
differences in AC vs DC current is a bit more involved than I
describe, but perhaps enough to give you an idea.

Bob Seastream
Intuition, # 906