[C320-list] Exhaust elbow

Dave Anderer danderer at udel.edu
Sat Nov 28 12:28:19 PST 2009

With the boat out of the water it is time to start the winter-list.  Only 4
months to get it all done.

When we bought the boat 4 years ago it had about 375 hours on the Yanmar.
 The surveyor was quite concerned about the corrosion on the exhaust elbow.
 He wouldn't commit as to how long it would last before total failure.
 Wouldn't even comment on if it would last the 6 hours to get the boat back
to our dock.  I bought some muffler repair tape and crossed my fingers.  We
made it, I pulled the elbow, and buffed the corrosion off in about 30
seconds.  Just light surface corrosion.

(This surveyor took the same approach on several other issues - they sky was
falling, but he wouldn't venture a guess as to when it would hit us.  As
I've pulled things apart I've concluded his concerns were pretty much all
unwarranted.  Waste of money.)

I put the elbow back in.  We've now put another 440 hours on it - TT is just
over 800 hours.  I pulled the elbow today.  Same surface corrosion (though a
couple spots bother me).  No evident carbon restriction in the manifold or
the elbow.  We run consistently at 2800 RPM and have observed no problems
with the engine.

Don't know if I'll bother replacing the elbow now or not.

Pictures of the process are at
http://www.catalina320.com/mediagallery/album.php?aid=236&page=1