[C320-list] Link 20 Battery Monitor Installation

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 12 16:38:17 PST 2009

Having done this upgrade, I'll take a crack at your questions. I used the
Xantrex XBM device so I'll assume the instructions are the same.

Question 1) The shunt is installed in the battery ground side of the
circuit. On my #62, these were all 1/0 cables. It is very important that
there are no connections to the battery negative post after the shunt
otherwise, that load will not be seen by the monitor. All loads must attach
via the up-stream side of the shunt.  A rule of thumb is to have as few
cables on the battery terminals as possible. That is why I installed
separate buss bars for pos and neg so the only cables on the battery are the
ones from the busses and the ones paralleling the two house banks.

Question 2) I presume by " the 'DC System Negative' connection," you mean
the DC connection for the monitor and not the shunt. The load imposed by the
Link 20 is negligible so it doesn't matter where you make the negative
connection. The shortest run of wire is probably the best. On my
installation, I used the multi-wire cable I bought from Xantrex and ran the
negative connections for the monitor device via this cable and connected to
the neg buss bar at the battery. But, if this is not what you have, the
easiest neg connection you can make is the best.

I have documented my project with a Word document that has a number of
pictures. It may help you to see how I wired the monitor connections at the
battery. If you want a copy of this, let me know and I'll send it to you
off-list.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay