[C320-list] Planning the 2010 Regatta

Bruce Stumpp bstumpp at comcast.net
Tue Nov 17 18:28:09 PST 2009

Karl.

As you know, the real trick in pulling one of these things off is finding
someone who will run the event - regardless of where it is located.  I asked
my wife where she would like to see one held and she liked the ideas of
Florida, Chicago or maybe Seattle although we would go almost anywhere if it
works with our schedule.  We've attended Regattas in Baltimore, Newport, San
Diego, Marina del Rey and Annapolis.

Your suggestion of piggybacking on a Catalina Rendezvous is a possibility
because it adds a draw and provides potential facilities and attendees
thereby making the planning a little easier.  This is what we did when I was
Commodore and had to do something quickly, ended up doing a regatta in
Newport, Rhode Island with the Catalina Rendezvous.  Since we are located in
Maryland, I can tell you it is very difficult to pull one of these off
remotely.  The Annapolis regatta coordinated by the Updikes and us was also
planned/coordinated somewhat remotely since that city is an hour away from
us.  If you decide to go in this direction we can provide some tips and
suggestions that might be helpful based on our experiences.Leveraging a boat
show is another possibilty with the same reasons and caveats.

The time of year is flexible for us since we are retired but I can tell you
we got alot of requests for the summer months at the Annapolis regatta
because of vacations and kids in school.

There always seems to be alot of interest in the racing end of the Regatta
and historically has been an important part of the event.  In fact, I
believe the San Diego Regatta  a couple of years ago required ALL boats to
enter the races.  It's a good learning exercise for those who have never
done it and a chance for the experienced to share their knowledge.  For
those reasons, in my opinion, this should be part of the Regatta.

I hope you find this helpful. Please let me know if I can offer any
help....although we'll have to pass on running another one this year.

Bruce Stumpp
#647, Adventure
Frog Mortar Creek, MD