[C320-list] In-Mast Furling and Winter Storage

bairdrjb at aol.com bairdrjb at aol.com
Tue Oct 6 16:35:26 PDT 2009

A few weeks ago we bought hull # 784 (2001) with In-Mast furling
mainsail.  The previous owner did not remove the mainsail and kept it
furled inside the mast through eight West Michigan winters (fairly
harsh conditions).  I know of one other sailor at our marina who does
the same thing.  The boat is equipped with a custom mast-up winter
cover.

The idea of not removing the main-sail seems a bit nuts, but the sail
is in excellent condition.  The word from these two guys is that
removal is not necessary and that hoisting the main-sail each Spring
can be challenge.

Eager for feedback from those who store their boats outdoors in winter
conditions.

Thanks.

Bob and Ingrid Baird
Hull 784 - Star Dust