[C320-list] Winterizing - Hot water heater bypass // Regarding concerns about using antifreeze in the water system

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 6 09:22:11 PDT 2009

Rough Draft,

The answer to your question is" No, there is no concern about running water
system antifreeze through your entire system.

Given the cost and hassle of replacing a hot water tank in the spring, I
spend the extra dollars on antifreeze and the extra 30 minutes to do the
job. I experienced no water system freeze problems over our 15 seasons with
the 320 up here on the south shore of Lake Erie.

If you are in a climate where it often reaches a hard freeze you can be sure
that doing using antifreeze will ensure the greatest level of protection. In
fact, you can recover much of your antifreeze if you first run the tanks dry
and then winterize the cold water side first beginning with the longest run
to the stern shower.

Note: Recovering the antifreeze is a matter of pushing the remaining water
out of the lines and faucets and then recover the antifreeze by emptying the
water tanks and then draining the remaining antifreeze from the hot water
tank.

Tips: Do not drain the hot water tank until after the cold side has been
winterized. After winterizing the cold side, drain the hot water tank of
water and then run antifreeze from your water tanks to the hot water tank
and winterize the hot water side. Lastly, run all of the antifreeze out of
the water tanks and recover it for another season's use. I add a couple of
gallons of -100 degree pink antifreeze to strengthen what was diluted from
the remaining water in the hot water tank will not drain. I purchase the
-100 degree antifreeze at Tractor Supply and I am good to go with the
recovered antifreeze for the next season.

Spring Launch Note: Flushing the hot water tank of any residual antifreeze
can be addressed by filling the hot water tank and then draining it into the
bilge a couple of times to eliminate the pink antifreeze from the water
system.

Hope this explanation serves to answer your question.

Rick
My-Ria #277