[C320-list] Sell YourSelf or Broker

bairdrjb at aol.com bairdrjb at aol.com
Tue Oct 20 03:40:59 PDT 2009

The buyer learned about the boat thru Craigslist, but also saw it on
Sailboatlistings.  The benefit of Sailboatlistings is that it permitted
more photos.  The boat was in great shape and I was sure to use pics
that reflected its pristine condition.

Also, in the description of the boat I emphasized annual maintenance
and upgrades.

Brokers have access to data regarding the actual sale price of boats
sold through Yachtworld (and not just the asking price).  We had been
working with a broker who knew we were interested in buying a 320 and
he was kind enough to share that information with us.   That helped us
to price the boat fairly.

At the end of the season, I imagine that buyers are looking for
bargains.  If you list a boat with a price lower than what is found on
Yachtworld (to reflect the boat's actual value and no added
compensation for brokerage fees), it will capture attention.

Buyers are wary of inheriting someone else's problems, so I think a key
is emphasizing the condition of the boat.  If there are any known
problems, fix them first.

Good luck.

Bob Baird
Hull 784, Star Dust