[C320-list] Water collecting under the holding tank

Larry Frank WindSwept at stx.rr.com
Thu Oct 22 19:24:57 PDT 2009

Warren,

I have #246 and even with my best efforts from time to time I get water into
the area we are talking about.

A number of years ago I drilled the drainage holes as shown on the diagram
from Catalina that is on the website.

However I couldn't or didn't drill them flush with the inside of the hull so
they really do not drain unless you have a heap of water there.

What I found out works is to use a web vac attached to a piece of clear
tubing that I can insert into the holes to get all the water out.

When I am sailing on a port tack and think of it I check the space below the
holding tank for water and if I see any, do the wet vac trick when back at
the dock.

If it was wet I leave the settee cushions and the cover boards below them
propped up so the area can dry out.

I too was concerned about battery acid which is one of the reasons I now
have gel cells.

Larry
WindSwept C320 #246