[C320-list] Batteries

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 27 15:22:01 PDT 2009

The two worse things you can do to lead/acid batteries is to leave them in a
discharged state, and let the fluid drop enough to expose the plates.

I never remove the batteries and have had no problems. I make sure they are
fully charged when winterizing, and charge them once a month.

Every battery has a certain amount of internal resistance. Lead acid
probably has the most. Internal resistance is like a constant flow of
current. Left alone, eventually the cells will completely discharge. Once a
month charging seems to be sufficient to prevent a healthy battery from
dropping below 12V.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay