[C320-list] Hot Water Heater Cold Water Line - Check Valve

Paul Rickman ilove2sail at verizon.net
Thu Sep 3 13:03:35 PDT 2009

OK, went to the boat today and to West Marine.  For those of you who care or may have this
same problem.

In the West Marine Catelog:

The part that failed looks like (but not the same) Whale Plastic Check Valve on page 352.

I was going for the Bronze Check valve Groco CV50 on page 352 but it was not in stock.
I would have had to get a double ended pipe threaded niple and a short blue Whale 15 MM
tube to make this work, but doable.

I decided to look around in the Kent Island West Marine plumbing section -- unknown to the
manager, she had a Whale In-line Non-return valve WX1582. It is 15 MM. Inserted this into
the adapter WX1532, it locked and could not be pulled out. So I took the part and put it on
my boat, a quick exchange. The quick connect end of WX1532 is also 15 MM. See page 348.

There is only one slight problem, the Whale part is rated for 150 degrees. We all know that
boat hot water heaters run at 180 degrees.

Hopefully this is the end of this story. Thanks to all who replied to my request.

By the way, the manager there is usually very helpful -- today she called three other non-marine stores
looking for parts that would work for this situation.

Paul
Affinity 657
Bay Bridge Marina