[C320-list] Bilge Diesel

Amirault Family - S&B amiraults at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 12 14:36:10 PDT 2010

All:

This is not a current problem for me. I was contacted by the current owner
of my previous boat looking for advice; having discovered two gallons of
diesel in his bilge and a leak in his 1981 fuel tank on arriving at his boat
this past weekend to prepare it for launch.  He has two problems and I could
contribute to how he can get the old tank out and the new one in.

The second problem is how to eliminate the diesel odour from the bilge now
that he has pumped the bilge and the tank. In this boat the areas with no
easy access are fibreglass which has not been painted nor covered with gel
coat; but left unfinished. Does anyone have suggestions on how he can remove
any trace of diesel from these areas? Will  he eventually have to find some
form of sealer to cover the contaminated areas?

Regards;

Brian Amirault
2001 Waltzing Bear, too