[C320-list] Autopilot Troubleshooting

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Sat Apr 3 12:20:17 PDT 2010

John-I have diagnosed a few Raymarine autopilot problems on my 2002 320.
First make sure you have the settings correct from your owners manual for
the autopilot.  It seems unlikely that improper settings would cause
intermittent compass errors, but that is an easy 1 minute drill.  Your
problem is probably a bad connection in one of the four wires connecting the
autopilot control head to the fluxgate compass, a compass malfunction or
something near the fluxgate to cause deviation.

You can check out if the fluxgate compass is working by looking in the
Raymarine customer help section.  Last year I had a problem with my ST 4000+
autopilot and found a trouble shooting section on their website for compass
troubleshooting.  I found answer ID 134 which deals with advanced fluxgate
compass troubleshooting.  You need a VOM to check out resistance between the
4 wires from the fluxgate compass to the autopilot head.  I don't have the
exact link but once found it gave very simple steps to make sure your
compass in working.

I was able to eliminate the fluxgate as my problem last year using the above
procedure.

Bob Sloat
Savannah, Hull 894

Message -----