[C320-list] Roller Furling

bruceheyman at cox.net bruceheyman at cox.net
Sun Apr 4 07:14:38 PDT 2010

Herb,
A couple of years ago ours also became very difficult to furl.  I believe this is not uncommon for our furlers as I saw one boat at the 2006 Regatta that had to use a winch to furl the sail.
After tighting the headstay as you did I called Schaefer and talked to someone in their technical support group.  He recommended that I replace the bearings and bearing body which we did.  With shipping it cost less than $110 and was amazIng the difference that it makes, even four years latter.
The bearing body is designed so that you can flush the salt water and crud out of the bearings after every sail.  It also has a "hatch" which would allow access to the bearings.  At the time I figured the replacement parts were so cheap because they realized that the originals had a less than optimal design and they didn't want to destroy their reputation.
To replace the berings and bering body you will have to detach the forestay which we did while the boat was in the water and the mast was stepped.
We used the jib halyard connected to a  bridal on the two forward cleats to keep the mast up while we worked.
We also move the boat far forward in the slip so that the bow was over the dock.  This minimized (but did not eliminate) our increasing the collection of tools in Davey Joense's Locker.
Good luck, like I said, because of the resulting performance it was a very rewarding project.
Bruce
Somerset 671 SoCal