[C320-list] Roller Furling

Robert Tiernay bob.tiernay at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 15:35:37 PDT 2010

Message: 8
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 07:20:34 +0000 (UTC)
From: hcreech at comcast.net
To: "Catalina, C-320" <C320-List at catalina320.org>
Subject: [C320-list] Roller Furling
comcast.net>

Well looking for help. Starting last season my Schaefer 2100 roller furling
started to become difficult to furl and unfurl. I read the Schaefer manual
and followed the instructions on tightening the headstay. This was done
while in the water which was nerve racking considering I have almost a
complete set of tools at the bottom of my slip. It helped a bit, easier, but
I thought I would do it again on the hard, did not drop anything, yesterday.
The results were pretty much the same. I must be doing something wrong
regarding tightening the turnbuckle. I even sprayed all bearings with
MacLube. The bottom drum is very difficult to rotate, even by hand. If
anyone on the list has a suggestion or a trick I sure would appreciate the
help.

Thanks,
Herb Creech
Cloud Chaser #606

Herb

Your lower bearings are shot you need to replace them.  Just did mine last
year. Same symptoms.  Replacement part is not too expensive but I have
forgot the exact amount.  If you have the manual for the 2100 its a pretty
easy job - about two hours.  Contact schaefer at 508-995-9511.  I talked to
carol she was very helpful.  Iad the replacement part (lower bearing
assembly) the next day.  BTW the new assembly has a couple of holes to flush
out the bearings - should last a litttle longer - I hope.  Make sure you use
good quality stainless cotter pins - I used some west marine junk - they
rusted and I had to replace the next year.

Bob Tiernay
Windwalker