[C320-list] Fuel Gauge Test

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 06:17:58 PDT 2010

Bruce,
I think I may have been either the author or source of material for the test
procedure. You can test your guage to an extent but the sender confirms the
results.

The gauge is simply an ohm meter and the float/sender is just a rheostat.

You should have three wires going to the guage; a common, a hot from the
sender in the tank and a hot from the lighting circuit. The common should
always be black, green or green/yellow stripe, the proper color for a fuel
guage sender under the ABYC wiring standards is pink and lights could be
dark blue or red.

If the gauge reads 'full' all the time...even when the key is "off", it is
probably shot, but disconnect all wires to confirm that it is not the result
of a short.  If is "full" only when the key is on, it is either the sender
or a short in the sender wire to the guage.

--
Chris Burti Farmville, NC