[C320-list] Leak on New 320 Mk11.

Robert Seastream robert.seastream at comcast.net
Mon Apr 12 17:49:59 PDT 2010

Best done on the hard.  You'll need two 'packing gland' wrenches, or
two adjustables big enough for the 'gland' cap/nut diameters.  I think
we're talking somewhere around 2 inches.  If it's never been done
before, then get a can of 'PB Blaster' or some other creep in oil,
marinate the gland cap/nut assembly in it and let it soak for a day or
so.  Then go at it with the two wrenches described above.  Might even
need a 'persuader' (hammer) also.  I'm not big on recommending heat,
but guess a hair dryer would be OK.  The packing gland material I used
was actually a form of 'Gore Tex', a material used in hiking boot
liners because of its' waterproofness.  In this case it came in about
a foot long length; from this was cut three lengths long enough to fit
around the shaft (inside the cap/nut gland assembly), with a small gap
(so the ends didn't actually 'meet' around the shaft), staggering the
gaps, then screwing the cap/nut assembly back together.  I don't have
the old packaging from the material, but any marina should be able to
supply you with something suitable.  Someone else on list may have a
more accurate answer.

Bob Seastream
Intuition # 906