[C320-list] Impeller Replacement

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 13 05:12:42 PDT 2010

Murphy's First Law on Impellers: "When an engine overheats whilst underway,
it is always in a rolling sea sufficient to knot your stomach in two minutes
or less sitting in front of the pump."

Note, it takes at least 5 min. to:
1--decide it might be the impeller (always first place to check;)
2--get out the tools;
3--find the spare impeller;
4--remove the screws (at this point your stomach feels about the size of a
tennis ball and about as hard;)
5--remove the old impeller (while wondering where the missing vane might
be;)
6--install the new impeller (while wondering if you can get the cover on
before you toss cookies;)
7--replace the cover (wondering where that last screw went;)
8--go topsides and toss your cookies.

Bought a new impeller this spring. Found the price had nearly doubled.

I always lube the new impeller with dish detergent. It doesn't harm the
impeller, works as a lube, and gives a nice tell-tail sign in the water that
the impeller is working.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay