[C320-list] Shaft Replacement

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Mon Apr 26 07:58:35 PDT 2010

Hi Paul,

I ordered the SS prop shafts online from:

Deep Blue Yacht Supply.  www.deepblueyachtsupply.com

The shafts I ordered were;

Length:   55"
Diameter:  1"
Single Taper
Price:  219.85 + shipping ($20?)
Part # SHAFT A-19  Aqualoy 19, which is nitrogen strengthened 304 SS.   (SAE J755 taper spec)

They also have an Aqualoy 22 which may be an option if you need even more corrosion resistance.  They have info on the diffs.  These are more money but probably not necessary.

With this shaft you will need to drill out 2 set screw dimples for the locking set bolts in the coupling flange once you get the shaft installed where you want it.  These keep the shaft from sliding out of the coupling.

I don't have the supplier handy but purchase a new cutlass bearing, and shaft log hose at the same time.  The spec for the shaft log hose (that holds the stuffing box) is available in the owners manual.  It should NOT have wire reinforcing and I ordered from my local service yard for a couple bucks.

-JeffH

PS: you have to be a C320 member to borrow the tools from the association.