[C320-list] Thru Hull Failure

John Frost john at frostnet.net
Mon Apr 26 14:00:25 PDT 2010

Very interesting thought Jim.
That had not even occurred to me because of our weather.
The boat never left the water and I ran pink stuff through the fitting in
the Fall and closed the valve while it was flowing.
We got a little surface ice (very unusual) but this fitting is well down in
the water. I left a small anti freeze heater running nearby.
I surely hope it was not that because then the rest of the fittings (and
most of the other boats here here) would be vulnerable to another failure. I
will try to send photos of the failure to Forespar to get their opinion.

Looking at their web site I did just learn something I had forgotten:

"All MARELON® integrated valves have a removable plug in the handle (white
cap with loop). This plug is made to fit into the external thru-hull
(non-screened style only). In an emergency, this plug can be placed in the
thru-hull (water pressure will keep it in) and the valve disassembled while
the boat is in the water. Someone must get wet, but the boat does not need
to be hauled for valve repairs. By tying a lanyard to the cap, you need only
get wet once."

Happy Sailing!

John
2007 C320MKII