[C320-list] Rope Clutch

Allan S. Field allan.field at verizon.net
Fri Apr 30 20:39:53 PDT 2010

Open up the top handle of the clutch all the way.  I don't know the name of
the part but it is now visible as a serrated maybe 3/4 moon shaped thing
that keeps the line from slipping.  Put a forefinger on the top of this and
push it up and forward all the way; once you get it moving forward, you need
to move a finger from another hand to the underside to get it to open all
the way; the point is you need 2 hands to get it all started.  The spring is
very tight so it takes a little effort.  Holding it all the way forward now
opens the entire clutch assembly.  With a now-free hand - or with an
assistant - push the end of the line straight on through the fore opening.
Once you get the hang of holding the spring-loaded part open, it really is
quite easy and fast.  Have a narrow screwdriver, such as an electricians,
handy just in case you need to encourage the line to enter the aft opening
to get it completely through but that is rarely needed and only if the line
severely bends.  When you let the spring loaded thing loose, it really snaps
back into place hard.  Let it snap back on the forefinger and you probably
are picking your nose with your other hand for the rest of your life!

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Columbia, MD