[C320-list] Sticky White Paint in C320 Lockers

Utility Email kswanson123 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 23 11:00:38 PDT 2010

My boat has a problem.

On our 2007 C320 MK II, the white paint inside the aft hanging locker and under the port settee is sticky.  The paint adheres to just about everything that it comes into contact with.  It has ruined some luggage, sailing foul weather gear, and life jackets.  The Paint is not runny, just sticky.  It seems like an enamel paint that has never fully dried.  It appears like it was factory applied.  The white paint in other lockers is fine (not sticky to the touch).  This is strange.  The interior white paInt was like this when we took delivery of the boat from CYA in Ventura last summer.

Our work around has been to apply plastic wrap to the inside of the hanging locker and not store clothing or other items that we do not want white paint on under the settee.  My questions are this:

1.  Has anybody heard of this before in C320's or other Catalina sailboats?

2.  How do I fix this?  Try and remove sticky paint with paint thinner, let dry and recoat with bilgekote white enamel?  Sounds messy, but certainly doable.  Anyone have experience with this?

3. Any advice on paints and why they don't dry properly and how to fix this would be much appreciated.

I am getting ready to haul the boat, so now seems like a good time to fix this pain in the neck problem.

Thanks for your advice.

Dave

David Swanson
S/V Emily Ann