[C320-list] Handling chop & short period waves

David Nolte dcnolte at mac.com
Wed Dec 15 06:39:25 PST 2010

Hi Mike,

You posted just fine - welcome!

We know chop here on the Chesapeake. On the Northern Bay where a number of us sail, the water is relatively shallow and we experience the Chesapeake chop of short period waves in a number of wind conditions.

Before we bought our 320 I positioned myself on a powerboat at the mouth of our river one day and watched the parade of boats coming in & out for awhile, specifically watching their attitudes and how they handled the local chop. My conclusion was that you needed at least 30 feet to slice through comfortably, and of course more was better.

In our 7 years with Beach House we have found that to be true. Very comfortable for us (and the kids!) in most conditions. Of course 30 knots on the nose can be a bit challenging........

Oh, and we usually beat the 34s we see out there.

David Nolte
Beach House #4