[C320-list] Handling chop & short period waves

Mike Barrowman watercayman at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 16 07:18:48 PST 2010

I can't tell you how valuable this information is.  I've spent months searching and reading all I can about the two boats (after narrowing my search), but this type of specific 'eyes-on' experience is worth its weight in gold.  Especially that direct comparison, Dave.  Neither of the boats exist here in Cayman, so I can't get much first-hand experience, though I have been on a few 34s at dock.  Everything I've read points me toward the 320 over the 34... well, except the freeboard - I kinda like a lower relative freeboard, but this is a minor point.

I should mention, I can't get the fin keel, though I do understand the compromise.  The end of my canal is under 5' for a good 10 yards before falling off to a whopping 5'6".  Low low tide, I've seen 4'7", so will even need to make sure I get the C310 keel model (post 2001 I believe).   I'll probably bump a few times on my way in, but shouldn't be  a problem.

If she gets over powered at 18kts Pat, I'm fine with that, as I use two reefs in my 250 on 80% of my sails as it is.  That would be an improvement for me, and one of the reasons for the step up to a larger boat.

Thanks again everyone!

Mike