[C320-list] Reefer Hinges (was Christmas)

Allan S. Field allan.field at verizon.net
Wed Dec 29 16:58:31 PST 2010

I can't remember where I got this idea but it probably came from this list.
Anyway, we have a piece of carefully measured line tied around each reefer
lid handle.  On the bulkhead behind the reefer, we installed 2 hooks.
Whenever we open the lid, whether in port or sailing, we have learned to
loop the line over the hook then do our rummaging.  Before the hook, we used
to just leave the lid in the up-position on the starboard side until it
slammed down on my fingers one day.  The port side, we used to remove,
rummage, and replace.  Both operations were dicey, especially in a seaway.
Hope this helps, especially since it is about a $1.00 solution!

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Columbia, MD